Making it Better

A number of improvements this week.  First, I added the Y-axis' PVC base, moving the rails closer together.  Then I cut a piece of aluminum and put it between the rails to catch any dripping oil.

The PVC board came out just right.  Here, you can see that the cotout gives good access to the lube fitting, so it will be easy to keep the screw oiled.

Next, I drilled a hole behind the X-axis screw, so I can easily oil that screw, too.  To make oiling easier, I plugged the oiling hole with a tapered dowel.

Then, after squaring the axes and leveling the table, I cut a circular disk out of 5/8" PVC.  The big machine does a much better job than the little machine.  Below, a disk cut on the little machine is shown on the right, while the big machine's disk is on the left.  The little machine needed to cut the disk in three passes, moving about 10mm/min.  The big machine cut the disk in one pass, moving at 30mm/min.  Notice how smooth the edge is on the left.  The big machine has almost no noise (wiggle) and far less bias due to torque.  The little machine moved as much as 2mm with force (torque), but the big machine moved only 1/2 mm with much more force.

Below is a 15-second clip of the big machine cutting the disk.


Big Machine in Action

The router mounts work just fine, but the vertical plate holding the mounts & router is only 3/8" and flexes a little bit.  So...the big machine's first job is to make a thicker replacement plate.  Here's a photo of the machine in action with room lights on & off.  Neat, eh?


Making Mounts for New Router

I used the little machine to cut 88.8mm diameter circles in 5/8" PVC.  Then I used the little machine to scratch in the cutout lines.

After cutting with the scroll saw, I find the mounts fit PERFECTLY!  Next - get nuts and bolts to fasten the router to the mill.  In the photo below, the router is upside-down...but you get the idea.


Rebuilt from ground up...

First step was to build a solid steel-framed table.
Next was to level the table after marking location on the floor with red tape.
Then I moved the machine onto double layer of 3/4" plywood and "trued" the three axes.

  • Squared the X and Y axes by moving one end of the gantry (with other fastened by one screw).
  • Used shims to make Y axes move parallel to the platform (photo below).
  • Fastened both ends of gantry to tabletop.

Added stronger 24V power supply and switch and mounted with 3-axis controller on DIN rail.

Moved the computer and monitor.  It is a bit cramped - may move computer to a separate table or stand.  

Finally, added an emergency stop switch.  The switch (left-front corner of tabletop) was a spare from repairing a table saw.  All I have to do is hit it and the motors are disconnected.  The only trouble with this is that the computer thinks the screws are turning, so the zeros need to all be reset every time the E-stop is hit.  Hopefully, I won't need to do that very often.